Mini Class NA Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 06:46:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2456 Posts in 366 Topics by 205 Members
Latest Member: robert suhay
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Mini Class NA Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  2010-West Coast Race
| | |-+  2010 West Coast Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: 2010 West Coast Race  (Read 9653 times)
Adrian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »

I sent an e-mail to Matson Lines re return shipping. 
The Pac Cup people said they had discussed rates & gave an address for quotes but I did not get a reply. 
I also thought that if anyone did the SHTP they could come home with the Pac Cuppers.
Does anyone have any more info on shipping rates?
Is Matson a Ro Ro service, so we need to ship stacked trailers to Honolulu?

I am still sitting on the fence & costs will probably be the deciding factor.
For those looking at the Pac Cup are you asking your crew to share the expenses?
Did any of the B 1-2 entries share expenses?
What might be a 'typical' cost sharing agreement?

Is a S route return race from HI possible - maybe to San Diego?
Getting the trailer to SD might not be too difficult.
Any more thoughts people?
ULDBGuy

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 12:06:30 AM »

PASHA goes into San Diego http://www.pashahawaii.com/OHW/ShipBoatHawaii.aspx

Boats shipping home from the 2008 SHTP used PASHA instead of Matson, as did some of the PacCup boats.  They had the same Ro-Ro arrangement (ship empty trailer over at no extra charge).
ULDBGuy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 01:03:19 AM »

I just read your post again - you were asking about a return race to San Diego, not shipping back there - sorry.

Even going to San Diego you'd have to sail North out of Hawaii for at least a week to get above the Pacific High, and would probably still have to sail through part of it in very little wind.  It's not unusual to motor for several hundred miles.  I've heard of boats running out of fuel and spending a month getting back.

You also don't want to be forced (by race motivations) to approach the coast in a gale:

http://www.sfbaysss.net/showpost.php?p=1357&postcount=17
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »

I race with my girlfriend so no cost shearing agreement.  Is possible we could get two boats one shipping container? or even on a open sided top load skid?

I have ruled out sailing the boat home, me in a no wind situation for days would drive me mad.  Where would I put all that fuel to motor?  If you did sail home back to the mainland, your home port might be the best bet adrain.

ULDB you used PASHA to get your boat home last SHTP right?  I have heard some nightmear stories of the price just going up and up once you get to the Matson terminal. 
ULDBGuy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 03:19:24 PM »

I'd heard the same stories regarding Matson.  I got a quote for shipping via PASHA in Feb. 2008, although I intended to sail home after the SHTP like I did in 2006.  For various reasons I ended up in Honolulu at the end of July looking to ship the boat*, with no contract or even a reservation.  Larry found a flat bed within a few hours and honored his Feb. quote.  The only add-on was an increase in the fuel surcharge, which was fair considering what fuel prices had done over those five months.

*Cool story but not about Minis, so ask me the next time we see each other.
Adrian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »

Hi ULDB,

Thanks for the info.
I have followed up on the shipping suggestions you have made.
Too bad we can't see a reasonable solution to sailing back DH or TH.

Someone suggested in an old post that the Cabo race might also be a possibility for anyone looking for a pre Pac race or even an alternative to the SHTP or the Pac Cup.   Does anyone have any thoughts on that possible option?

With only a few weeks to go before the registrations need to be submitted I am still struggling to see the choices clearly & make a decision.

Currently the Ministas' choices appear to be:
1) Poco Loco - Pac Cup DH
2) Emma - Pac Cup DH
3) Santi - SHTP
4) Antidote - Huh?
5) ??
ULDBGuy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 03:20:10 PM »

What's up with Sean (Daisy Cutter #530) and Mike (Flying Ace #305)?  There are four newer Minis in Alameda Marina now, close enough to throw Raymarine A/P parts at each other.  You guys are really close to "critical mass" locally.  Maybe race as a division in some of the In-the-Bay stuff to keep building interest - Ditch Run or Jazz Cup would be good, or a Vallejo Race - all are mostly downwind.  Santi can tow his up to play too.

I really think you're about to turn the corner . . .
USA650

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »

Hey Gang,
Just a reminder/update: our Rolland Proto #577 is still for sale. We are leaving TX and moving to Arkansas in a little over a month, and she really needs a good new home. I would call us "motivated" sellers at this point!! Wink He hull shape is PERFECT for down-wind sailing, and with her brand new set of sails, the singlehanded transpac or Pac cup would be a fun trip. The hull of boat was never officially weighed and we are trying to get that done this week so we can get an actual real weight on the boat. By our current calculations she's one of the lightest boats out there, but we've got to know for sure. 'Course, people keep those statistics close to the heart, so you'll have to compare for yourselves.  If anyone is interested send us an email and we'll give you all the info, plus weight once we've got it.
We might even *consider* a charter for a west coast race so she won't sit here in TX on the hard. It would depend entirely on a person's ability to get insurance (so, doublehanded might work!).
The boat does not have it's own trailer, but it DOES have a cradle with a steel frame that fits perfectly on a u-haul car hauler, among other flat bed trailers! We've towed her on a car hauler before. It's pretty easy to find an 18' flat bed trailer for not too much money.

You can't even get a used series hull for the price of this boat, let alone a comparatively competitive proto. Make an offer someone!!

Katie
ULDBGuy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 03:45:36 PM »

I'm past the point of no return on a major refit, otherwise . . .

Katie, you should post this on the For Sale section of the SSS Forum.  There is interest in the boats but few over there visit here.  sfbaysss.net
USA650

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »

Awseome! Good tip, thanks!
kt
sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:06 PM »

Hola,

I've checked the Cabo race and it looks we're out, they ask for more than 26' and less than 114 PHRF... so, we're too small and too slow ;-). But it could be a fun race...
The trip back can be interesting though, either the 'Clipper Route' or tow back...  I took the bus last year coming back from Cabo to San Diego, it's 24h if you do it non-stop (I did stop in Mulege,  though). The trip is very nice but quite tricky: hills, 1-line-each-way narrow road, cliffs and buses and trucks going way faster than you can legally drive on a US freeway. So I'd prefer the Clipper Route if that ever happens ;-)

As for SHTP, still a long way to go. I'm definitely working on it, but still a long way to go... I think last day to sign up is in April and lots of things may/will happen till then.

I'm also still thinking on the Guadalupe Island Race... that looks like will start the same day than the Cabo race, so if after getting to Guadalupe, you feel you don't want to go upwind... just follow the fleet south. And remember, beer always seems better in the tropics  ;-)

sausmusiii
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 09:42:53 PM »

Santi,

I know the 26' is overlooked if the RC committee is approached with a few 'new boats' to the fleet.

What PHRF rating are you seeing for the Mini's in your area?

I had a 105 from Galveston Bay PHRF for the Pogo 1. Couldn't do windward/leward's to that number and got screwed on all point to point up wind coastal races. But better.

And I suggest that the beer is also always better at any finish line.

Sam
sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 11:30:30 PM »

Hi Sam,

I just found this link for a Zero in SoCal with 108 (so legal) http://www.theborderrun.org/entry09.htm and another Zero USA670 in Florida with 114 (so not legal): www.phrfsef.com/pages/2009/Peregrine_09_010909a.pdf. So at least is borderline...

I agree! Let's make it a finish line at the tropics then!

Do you think more people would like to join for the Cabo race?

Santi
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »

USA 670 now rates 96, so we could do it.  I am trying to get it raised a few seconds a mile here in the bay but I don't think we will ever get back to 114 out here.  The minimum length for a boat in the Pac Cup is 24' but with a short conversation with the race committee they they agreed to allow us. 

I am always interested in a trip to Mexico but bringing a boat back from Cabo would not be fun.  I have been to the finish of the Baja 1000 in La Paz by RV and would fly if I was to do that again, check out "Dust to Glory" for road conditions.  There is always the Coastal Cup, again its a double-handed race, and it doesn't get to anywhere particularly warm. All these races are only a few weeks away from the start of the Pac Cup so I am likely out. 
sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 11:16:52 PM »

Yes, just like the 'Baja 1000' but you don't have to do it off-road, you can actually drive over asfalt all the way up ;-)

Check this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5M32ulH-00 . That's the actual road... And I agree, quite a tow. Somebody recommended me to cross to Mazatlán and tow over the main-land freeway, but I've never been there myself.

Thanks for the update on the rating...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: