Mini Class NA Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:59:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2457 Posts in 367 Topics by 205 Members
Latest Member: robert suhay
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Mini Class NA Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  2010-West Coast Race
| | |-+  2010 West Coast Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 2010 West Coast Race  (Read 10584 times)
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »

Do we know of anyone else who may want to race???  Now we 2 going and one on the fence. 
ULDBGuy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »

Not sure where you'll be tonight (Sept. 21) but there's a meeting to go through the SHTP equipment requirements at Oakland Yacht Club (Alameda) at 1930.  Then a seminar every four weeks (except December) until the race on 6/19/2010.
sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »

Yes, I saw that on the web site. I'm in San Diego, so a bit too far for driving after work,  but the next one I may join on the speakerphone...

sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »

BTW ULDBGuy,

I've tried to contact Larry@loadaboat.com through that email and the form on the website (that I guess is his business at www.loadaboat.com) and I've got no response... I'm trying to get a quote for bringing my mini from europe to the USA.

It's hard to believe, but I've emailed and filled about 10 forms online (in different web sites) and I got one (and only one) reply back.

Does anybody knows if this is normal in the shipping business ? Maybe I'm just very unlucky...

OK, enough winning, if anybody knows of a reliable shipping (Ro-Ro) contact, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Santi
ULDBGuy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that.  I'm not aware that Larry does anything outside of the U.S. even though he's affiliated with "Worldwide Boat Transport."

I'll reluctantly suggest you try a post on the forums at SailingAnarchy.com.  The Europeans who post there may have a suggestion.  I'd also think that Adrian (here) may have a suggestion, since he imports the Zero from Spain.  Finally, talk to your local J/Boats dealer - most new J/Boats are coming from France now.
sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 11:35:22 PM »

Yes, probably Larry doesn't do anything outside the US, but having his email was like having a 'real human' on the other side of the keyboard, so I had to try. :-)  I totally understand.

I've been in contact with Adrian and other mini sailors, and I've got lots of ideas and indications about the shipping. I must say I've learned a lot because of them. But somehow, that last name, the one that can make it happen, is the one I'm missing.

In any case, I'm posting about it here (a part from trying to find somebody), to make sure other future-ministas know about it and plan a bit better than I did. For sure I was not ready for this.

Thanks a lot for your comments,  I put them in my 'to call' list!
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 02:10:59 PM »

Looks like there is definatly another mini comming to the Bay.  I am not sure if they will be ready by then but I am sure it is a posibility. 

I don't have any work schedualed for the entire month of November so if i get a weather window, I will likly try to sail my SHTP qualifier, Just to keep all my opetions open.  The wather around here this time of year is questionable so we will see if I can get it off. 
sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 10:00:24 PM »

Do you mean it could be a 'mini' fleet going to Hawaii?  That is soooo coool!!!!!

Why don't you come down for the PSSA Guadalupe Island race? I'm guessing it should be the 27-28th of March, as I believe they schedule their races on (or as close as feasible to) full moon weekends. It's also a qualifyer to the SHTP...

Of course, nothing wrong on going out and sail 1000nm for the sake of it!  I hope I can do it soon!!!

PS: 714, don't worry, you'll be home soon and I'll take care of you, we'll visit new places and you'll met very cool people. You'll see that, in winter,  SD is quite warmer than The Netherlands... Yes, I know, I miss Barcelona too, may be one day...  I've told there is a pretty cool Mexican island south of here, we'll plan a visit soon, what about flying the kite all the way down to say 'hola' to her?  (BTW, her name is Guadalupe, please, be polite!). But then you'll have to show your climbing skills going up! And believe me, after the trip, both of us we'll feel better prepared for a cool vacation in Hawaii this summer. I promise you'll enjoy SoCal...

Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 10:19:27 PM »

i am looking into the pssa race. 
Adrian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 01:47:33 PM »

Hi,
How did you & Poco Loco do in the SSS Vallejo race go?
Any other Mini entries?
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »

we took up our usual position at the end of the fleet, no planing in no wind and i still feel like the rig is tuned wrong we always seam to be fighting the boat upwind. 

We haven't had any other mini entries since I have been racing out here.  530 is over in the yard having bottom work done so hopefully they will be out racing soon, I guess the owner has had some health problems.  Does anybody have contact info for the skipper I would love to talk to him and get him more involved in bay racing.  Additionally there is a proto headed to the bay, that could make four race ready boats on the island of Alameda, 2 protos 2 zeros and there is also the zero on the other side of the bay.  So we are getting to a critical mass, I hope...

I am not sure if you guys have seen this (I am not trying to sell anything other then the class and I sail a zero) http://www.justin.tv/clip/e6e350a85ee65888 but it seams the the 3cc guys are stoked for a west coast race.

SR- I took a look into Guadalupe Island race and finishing at Catalina and having to haul out in Long Beach is a pain, I did it this year for the Coastal Cup and had worst experience.  Not to mention if I am going to sail to Mexico I am going to spend some time on the beach drinking cheap beer dining on 50 cent tacos. 
sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 11:44:39 PM »

Yes, I know, that really tasty and cheap food just a few miles away... I'll be trying to smell those tacos while sailing too, but I see the race as, probably, the only winter 600nm singlehanded on the west coast... so a nice winter test.

I'm trying to think if I would make it to Bay Area for a 600nm race. In fact last spring I went to Alameda for the re-measurement of my Finn and for a race (that I couldn't race because of a weird intoxication) and I know it's hard...  So, two questions:

- Would people come down if we manage to put together a training week just before the race? Anybody interested on this?

I went to a clinic in l'Escala (in Girona, Spain, where the Zeros are currently being built, that happens to be about 10 miles from my parents home) and there were about 10 minis. They took crew on, and I managed to sail on a Pogo2 and a Zero. It was actually very interesting with talks about medical stuff, eating, sleeping,... and finally a few hours on the water each day. Pretty cool, and everybody liked it.

- Would having support from a local YC be helpful in order to sort logistic problems (hoist,...) ?

I'm just trying to give options, but at the end, I agree about those nice tacos, and the chorizo, and the... I'm actually thinking I should go there this Christmas! ;-)
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »

If we are going to race as a class i would be down for it, otherwise not ideal for me.  Makes logistics pretty easy starting and finishing in about the same spot.  This doesn't seam like an ideal course for the mini though.  As I recall winds are normally really light that far south, and then another 300 miles north, up wind in light winds.  That sounds like my personnel nightmare.

we really need to find out what the deal breakers are for the other guys in the fleet, so we can start moving in the direction of an organized race of our own or getting a start in another race.  It is a forgone conclusion that you and I are going to race but there are others we need to get involved, I know that there is a boat show going on, with several boat there as well as two boats on the transat, so its likely others will want to join our folly. Also not hiding this thread in the '08 category would be a good move too.  Adrian who need to talk to get this in the general category where the old '08 thread is.

Emma

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »

OK, I've been hanging back here because it seemed like my boat was never going to make it here, but finally!  shipping is sorted and 574 will be arriving in the Bay by the end of November!  As of now, I'm thinking of doing the PacCup -I think I have someone lined up to sail with who knows the boat better than I do, so on top of it being an awesome sail, I'd get some serious training out of it at the same time.   I know Taylor is committed to the PacCup, and Santi is wanting to go SHTP- how many other boats are thinking of going to Hawaii this summer?
Also, I've been talking to Kevin from KEVCO  shipping (714-404-3852)- he does a lot of paccup and transpac shipping.   He suggested that as long as the boats are on good trailers and driving back up the coast isn't a problem, shipping back to San Diego is cheaper than to SF, and is on a better ro-ro boat, so it's a bit safer... 
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 08:56:09 AM »

Great to hear we will have another boat out sailing with us soon!!!  So I talked with Sean, who owns the other zero here in the bay and he could be persuaded to race in either race.  So that could pretty easily make three.  I wonder if we ship as a fleet if KEVCO may discount the trip, maybe we could say they are sponsoring the fleet, a sticker on the sails might be worth it... 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: