Mini Class NA Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 07:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2456 Posts in 366 Topics by 205 Members
Latest Member: robert suhay
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Mini Class NA Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  2010-West Coast Race
| | |-+  2010 West Coast Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 2010 West Coast Race  (Read 9692 times)
Adrian

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »

If we are to keep the alternate year, alternate coast major race for Minis it is up to the W coast Ministas to step up & start planning.
There is one DH Mini entry in the Pac Cup - ought we to follow this lead & work to have a Mini class in that race?

Based on 2008 experience & preferences it may be a good idea to consider a San Francisco start rather than a Victoria BC start.  If Craig & Chris sell their boats there may only be 1 boat in the Victoria area.  Trailering to & from San Fran may be easier for the SE guys & a little closer than Victoria for the NE 'ers.

What are people's thoughts & possible commitments?

A
sausmusiii
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 12:00:43 AM »

2010 is alternate coast race. Left Coast, Gulf Coast or North Coast?

If the Left Coast Race doesn't work, then I am sure we could do a Double Handed Class in the Galveston, TX - Veracruz, MX race in June of 2010 or do something just for Mini's, starting and finishing in the same port on the Gulf Coast.

Sam
sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »

My personal preference would be the SH transpac... kind of an old personal dream.... But still lots of things have to happen in order to be able to do it.

Santi
Adrian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:13:04 AM »

Hi Sam,

Canada also has a sea to sea to sea coastline - I ought to have thought about the 3rd option for the US.
Would it be more attractive to have a Gulf Coast race in the same year as the B 1-2?
B 1-2 in June (NE)  & Gulf Coast (SE) in August?

As we build the race agenda the Left coast might look for a same year N - S race (Mexico) in S CA in May/June & a longer E/W (Hawaii) race in July.

So far out here, we have 1 boat registered for the Pac Cup, 1 preference for the SHTP, & 1 N fence sitter.

A
sausmusiii
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »

Adrian,

Problem with August in Gulf is the dialing up of Hurricane Season. Winds are light and hot, very very hot. You would have to carry the complete 45 gallons of water for a one week race just to keep a 2 handed crew hydrated.

I am concerned the economics, $$$'s and time,  of two big races a year will split our fleet as most of the boat owners are not independant ly wealthy and still maintain jobs with normal hours.

The SHTP has been a dream of mine, just as the Bermuda 1-2 was. I have not elevated it to my 'Bucket List' but I might. Problem is the logistical challenges involved with the return trip and the overall time commitment.

I think Joe is on the right path of promoting weekend races, which are more doable for our contengency than a series of week long or longer races two or three times a year.

We have multiple long leg bay races in Galveston Bay, 4 offshore overnight races and 1 multi day ofshore events per year that shorthanded sailing is welcome. The Pinnaple Cup welcomes mini's as well.

Probably should move this thread to new thread or join it to the Mini Friendly thread that Joe started.

Sam
Sharkbait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 02:01:06 PM »

Just wanted to jump in here as well ...

Now that I did the B12 this year, I plan to spend next year actually learning how to sail the boat Cheesy

I too am very keen on the SHTP, but for me I am thinking about 2012.

2010 will be a lot of 3day weekend races in the area (Block Island, Offshore 160, Vineyard, etc).
2011 Bermuda1-2 I guess
2012 SHTP

sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:43:57 PM »

My idea is to try to sail as much as I can during winter (if we can call winter to San Diego weather) and then try to join the races from the 'Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association' (http://www.pssala.com/). They have a really nice SH/DH program that next year should include (if I'm not wrong, I've figured that out from previous years schedules):

Jan   Dan Byrne #1 'Ship Rock', 47 nm
Feb   Dan Byrne #2 'Bishop Rock', 165 nm
Mar   Dan Byrne #2 'Guadalupe Island', 596 nm

I'll have to go to Marina del Rey (about 100nm north of SD) to start the race, and then sail back home, so that'll give me some extra practicing miles.

Then my next objective will be the 2010 SHTP, but I agree all the logistic mess it's quite complex.

Santi
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:44:18 AM »

I guess since I am the one who has entered the Doublehanded Pac Cup we all know where my interest lies.  I would like the mini community to know that the race comitte has changed the race rules to allow us to get out there.  They have removed the need for SSB (like most distance ocean races and the SSTP require) and waived the minimum length rule just for us.  On the same token the SSS is happy to see us racing with them, however they are less inclined to work we us so that we can sail our boats as close to mini rules as possible. 

If the logistics are a limiting factor I would be happy to setup the logistics as far as finding us a yard willing to help us put our boats together and store them while we ship our trailers over HI, additionally I would be willing to try to work group rate to matson for return shipment.  The reality is that I will be doing half this work anyway so helping some others makes it that much more productive. 

I think it is important for the class in north america to be seen racing as a fleet, I think your guys presance at the B 1-2 was amazing and important.  It would be nice to see the sucess of that race follwed by the sucess of another.

Poco Loco USA 670
Adrian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »

I'm still fence sitting here.

The Pac Cup sounds like the best option for a DH race & the SHTP for going solo.

I think the Pac Cup HI destination is preferable & it may also be less expensive than the SHTP for getting the boat home.
I agree the fleet, because of the variety of boats & crews may be more fun pre start & post finish. 

So I'm leaning towards the Pac Cup.
Any more thoughts out there?
ULDBGuy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 01:08:35 AM »

The rules are finished - SSB's are encouraged but not required for the 2010 Singlehanded TransPac (nor were they in 2008).

Regarding logistics, several of us had good results with Larry@loadaboat.com  In 2008 Larry worked through PASHA (vs. Matson) and was able to quote hard numbers that were competitive in a tough shipping market.  Based on my personal experience with him, I believe Larry would do everything he could to put together a program that would work.  It's not going to be cheap but the race and destination are well worth it, and it's a great group of people (ask Ryan).

There remains an interest in seeing Minis race to Hanalei Bay with SSS.  It's the perfect race for the boat.

If anyone wants to talk about it, e-mail the Race Committee at SHTransPac-at-yahoo-dot-com  There are no hard feelings or axes to grind with the current R/C - the problem before was the pressure to change the rules just for the Minis - that didn't go over well given the long traditions of the race.
Sharkbait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »

It seems like a long race to do double handed .. would be a very heavy boat when pushing off in SF.
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 05:27:34 PM »

Not much heavier because (and i cannot find the NOR) the SHTP requires you to have 30 days of provisions and the Pac Cup requires 15 gallons of water plus a person plus food so it is about the same weight.

ULDBguy thanks for the lead on the boat transport, I will look into it.

From my experience racing the Long Pac this year the SSS is happy to have us, however like ULDBGuy says they are not willing to negotiate.   
ULDBGuy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 06:06:49 PM »

SHTP currently requires 21 gallons of water, none required to be in fixed tanks.  This is primarily due to the 2006 and 2008 races being so slow/long - some of the smaller boats used most of their water.  Previously the rule was 15 gallons - if we can get a couple of "normal" (faster) races in the books again, future R/C's will probably consider reducing the requirement.

Regarding other provisions, some skippers take "edible" stuff for the actual projected race days and grosser stuff (freeze-dried etc.) for the reserve period to keep it light.  Unless your food is really heavy that doesn't add up to the weight of another person plus gear.

Regarding "not (being) willing to negotiate" I'm not sure what your issue is/was.  All races have rules.  The first time Minis were able to race in the B1-2 they had to give some ground to make it happen.  There are quite a few in SSS who are keen on Minis and would like to see them take off, but you have to walk before you can run.
Poco Loco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 09:00:37 PM »

I do not contend that a mini loaded with gear for two Pac Cup will weigh less than that of a boat setup for the SHTP, obviously there will twice as much stuff. 

I do not have a problem conforming to the rules, and I do not mind proving that my boat is seaworthy.  My experience has been that the everyone with the SSS has been supportive, and willing to work with any racer.  I am just saying that the SSS is very through compared to other race committees. 

What it really comes down to is who is willing to race, and in what race. Having worked with both groups I know we can get support for either race.  As I said before I am in for the Pac Cup, and if we get five boat we get our own class.   
sr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »

So looks like I'm the only one who prefers to go singlehanded...

As for the race rules, I'd like to sail following the French mini class rules, but if that can not happen because of SSS rules, I may consider to race with SSS rules, as ULDBGuy says, somebody has to walk there first before they 'open' their rules for us to run.

Nothing final yet, as I need lots of practicing and boat preparation, but it's definitely on my todo list for next year.

I will be contacting the Race Committee on the email below, anybody else interested so we can cc each other and don't contact them twice? :-)

Santi

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: