Mini Class NA Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 04:05:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2457 Posts in 367 Topics by 205 Members
Latest Member: robert suhay
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Mini Class NA Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  M65
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: M65  (Read 12512 times)
Adrian

View Profile WWW
M65
« on: October 12, 2008, 07:13:30 PM »

Hi All

It looks as though congratulations can be extended to Jeff Dingle and his USMini Shop Crew for completing the first M65.  According to the Annapolis Boat Show program the M65 is in the water! 

CONGRATULATIONS Jeff, you did it!

The gestation for this Owen Clark Design has been long and the labour demanding. There have been numerous barriers that Jeff has had to overcome to bring the design into production and many, including myself, doubted that the boat would be built.

Jeff deserves our recognition for staying with the project.  We now have a US built boat to consider when shopping for a Series class Mini.

I am looking forward to seeing her and hopefully having a ride next year.  Let's hope she will be a 2009 B 1-2 entry and the mad people who buy Minis will not be deterred by the financial melt down that Dubya and his ideological cronies have gifted the world with.

Has anyone seen the boat at the Annapolis show?  What are the first impressions from the fender kickers?

Adrian
nosecone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »

You can see the construction of the m65usa at www.portafiberglass.com  there is a special section on it.  The boat is back there now awaiting the keel which is being cast at this time, it will then get the mast, sails, and other finishing touches.  Jeff Dingle is hoping to have it ready for sailing tryouts at Key West in January 2009.
The hull and deck are works of art, completely hand laid to exacting specifications by Todd Fuhrmann and his crew in Edgewater FL.  Jeff has two sites.  www.m65usa, www.minisinamerica.com.  The latter site has the pricing. Place your orders now, this thing is something else!
jsharkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »

Jeff?
BillL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 09:52:04 AM »

If nosecone isn't Jeff, then "he" ought to be on Jeffs payroll.

Besides that, it was great so see the M65 float.
jsharkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 06:57:22 AM »

Jeff assured me it wasn't him (and I didn't REALLY think it was Jeff)....but whomever it was sure looks like they have SOME interest in seeing these things "fly off the shelves"...
r.finn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »

Jeffrey has a payroll?  I know he won't post here, but when do I get on it?   Nosecone reads like a robocall.  I anagramed the name and came up with "one scone", which wasn't very helpful.  That said, I think it's in all our best interests to have US built Minis "flying of shelves" or other peices of furniture.  Back to work for me.

-R
Adrian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »

Today is the big day.  Will anyone be there to take some pics & post them here for us.
USA650

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »

I am sure we will see some pictures as soon as Jeffrey does something. And I will take a wild guess and say that Jeffrey will be front and center in most of them if at all possible. He usually is. Smiley
john2112

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »

Any new pics? Is now the 29th and things seem to be still in full stealth mode
Adrian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »

The M65 is in the water & there are lots of pics on the website showing the final stages of fitting out.
It looks as though there is going to be lots to talk about re the M65 in the next few weeks & months.

I like the aesthetics of the hull & deck, the triple spreader rig and the stern.

The two tillers look pretty ugly & not as functional as a single tiller option.
Lots of people don't like the twin tillers on the Pogo either, but theM65's seem really obtrusive, taking up a lot of space while the Pogos are much shorter.
The aluminum pipe would look more fitting on The San Fran, "tin can tri".

The pushpits, pulpit & stanchions still do not look as though they are class legal & I still don't see how the articulating bowsprit meets the class rule.

The interior finish looks very good.
What I don't see there, is how the keel lifts while the boat is in the water & there seem to be a lot of bolts to release every time you want to launch the boat from the trailer.
Basically the plate on top of the keel looks like the Zero's - the Zero has 8 bolts.

My questions on the design are:
Is the M65 fully Classe Mini legal?
Do the stanchions & aspi pole meet current class regs?
Has Classe Mini series designation been requested?
Has the trailer launch & lifting keel been abandoned?

Does anyone have any answers. 
No word from Jeff yet - I did e-mail him, but obviously he is really busy.

More interesting though is the question - how will she sail?
It looks as though the first sail will be as early as the coming weekend.
john2112

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »

I too have the same questions as Adrian. I doubt the stanchions/pulpits are CM legal. Same for the prod, it just does not look like it will fold inside the sheer plan of the boat. Does anyone know how CM measures the overall length and whether the M65 headstay chainplate/bow pulpit mount makes the boat too long?
I also wonder if the laminate schedule was beefed up on the chainplates to handle the change in rig configuration. This is because the original drawings of the boat show an upper shroud chainplate at the rail with the lower/intermediates at the inner chainplate, just like the Zero.
Hopefully the tillers are just temporary ones.
Will a liferaft chute that CM now requires be added to the design?
Overall it looks like a cool boat. I hope it is a true Mini and has lots of success.
oktopuces

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:16:18 PM »

what do you think is not legal as fare as the stanchion ?
There are 4 stanchions with supporting leg.
The pulpit got 3 legs, it looks like the hinge system / chain plate fit into the 30 mm tolerance (J22-b)
The 2 things that may not work :  I wonder if the bow sprit will fit in the 3m wide when folded, the 2 legs of the pulpit are really wide.
and there is no stanchion at the stern, which does not respect rule J 11-a, maximum 2.20 m of lifeline with no support.
But on the pics they still have some work to do, they will probably add a stanchion later.
Phoenix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 07:45:52 AM »

Oktopuces, I think the question that was raised about the stanchions is the same one you point out for the stern (i.e. max 220cm span). It may be that with the M65, they've changed the position of the stanchions to keep the span in check, but what happened to all the boats designed before the rule change is that they had to extend the pulpit aft and extend the pushpits forward in order to meet the rule. Most people also extended the pushpits towards the centerline aft to avoid having a central stanchion.
Adrian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »

Yes Phoenix' post identifies the exact problem re the stanchions.
The aspi pole pic taken in January appeared to show the pole at an angle that would not allow it to be stowed within the boat's measured beam.

It will be helpful if the next pics clearly show:
- the cockpit ergonomics; with the traveller so far inboard & the long alum tillers is the cockpit well planned for DH racing?
- the aspi pole in stowed position,
- the measured distance between the stanchions, & between the pushpits,
- an interior pic of the lifting keel in the raised position,
- the companionway & sliding hatch, is there a sliding spray cover when the hatch is open?
and,
the bottle being broken over the bow, will it be champagne (French) or sparkling (California)?

Looking forward to seeing pics of the big day, the first sail.

john2112

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »

I drew a box around the boat and if the prod is done as drawn then it might be ok.
Would sure be great to hear more from the folks who are working on the boat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: